Is your business PCI DSS Compliant?
PCI-DSS stands for Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS). It’s a proprietary information security standard which must be followed by all organisations that accept credit or debit card payments.
PCI DSS was first introduced to increase control on all cardholder data that is processed in order to prevent card fraud. An annual compliancy check is carried out by an external QSA (Qualified Security Assessor) who will then create a ROC (Report on Compliance) for the company in question.
Does this apply to me?
If you’re a merchant that accepts card payments, then yes – compliancy with the PCI Data Security Standard is essential. Regardless of the size of the company or however many card transitions the business processes, the PCI DSS requirements still apply.
How can I ensure that my business is PCI DSS compliant?
The standard is maintained by PCI SSC (Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council) who have implemented the following 12 requirements for best security practices:
Build and Maintain a Secure Network
- Install and maintain a firewall configuration to protect cardholder data
- Do not use vendor-supplied defaults for system passwords and other security parameters
Protect Cardholder Data
- Protect stored cardholder data
- Encrypt transmission of cardholder data across open, public networks
Maintain a Vulnerability Management Program
- Use and regularly update anti-virus software
- Develop and maintain secure systems and applications
Implement Strong Access Control Measures
- Restrict access to cardholder data by business need-to-know
- Assign a unique ID to each person with computer access
- Restrict physical access to cardholder data
Regularly Monitor and Test Networks
- Track and monitor all access to network resources and cardholder data
- Regularly test security systems and processes
Maintain an Information Security Policy
- Maintain a policy that addresses information security
For a complete overview in regards to PCI DSS, please Click Here to view the official Security Standards Council website.
We have moved to a new office
Thremhall Park, Bishop’s Stortford. A year of COVID restrictions has given us some time to find the perfect location for [Read more...]
The merchant’s guide to customer loyalty programs
From frequent flyer miles and box top vouchers, to stamp cards and points programs, customer loyalty programs have been around [Read more...]
Re-opening for business after lockdown: An 8-step guide for merchants
With the end of lockdown just around the corner, many merchants are getting ready to re-open their doors and get [Read more...]